Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another emeril live recipe... I love his creativity!
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 firm-ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and each sliced into 8 even pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1⁄2 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon spice essence, plus more for seasoning, recipe follows
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- lime wedge, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce and avocado slices. Soak for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, Serrano pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine. Chill until ready to use.
- In a medium Dutch oven or deep-fryer, fill oil to a depth of 3 to 4 inches (no more than halfway up the sides of the pan.) Heat oil to 375 degrees F over medium-high heat.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, Essence, baking powder, and the remaining teaspoon of salt in a shallow dish. Dredge soaked avocado slices in the cornmeal mixture, shaking to remove excess cornmeal.
- Place avocado slices in the hot oil and fry until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes each side. Using a slotted spoon, remove slices and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Season with additional Essence. Serve immediately with spicy lime crema and garnish with lime wedges.