Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
Just like the real thing only better! Savoury milk chocolate over a toffee-like base. A sure hit at any gathering.
- 1 cup butter (salted if available)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- soda cracker (salted if available)
- 1 (300 g) package milk chocolate chips
- Line a cookie sheet with foil then cover completely with the crackers.
- Heat sugar and butter slowly until it boils, then stir constantly for 4 minutes. Pour carefully over crackers. Place pan in pre-heated oven at 325 degrees for 16 minutes.
- Shake chocolate chips over top of mixture after removing from oven. They will melt in about 5-10 minutes. Use a spoon or spatula to smooth out the chocolate, let this cool down for 15 minutes (at least), then freeze them for at least 1 hour before you break them. Keep refrigerated and serve cold.
Loved the butterscotch over the saltines! My Hershey's milk chocolate chips failed me though - the lil buggers WOULD NOT melt! I even put my tray back into the oven for 10 minutes to help them along! Next time I'll melt the chocolate in a double boiler while the crackers bake & pour it over top. The combo fo sweet, salty, crispy, buttery & chocolate are PERFECT PMS therapy (nibbling on them while they are still warm...:)). Thank you Chef 549471 for this yummo combo -deciding whether to share...