Recipe by Mirj
I found this recipe on Joy Bauer's blog at MSNBC and this is both yummy and not so guilt-ridden. It's also super easy. You just need to roast the eggplant slices a bit in the oven and the rest can be nuked in an instant.
- 1 medium eggplant
- salt and black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup marinara sauce
- 1⁄4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- dried oregano
- red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly coat baking sheet with spray oil.
- Cut off the ends of the eggplant and slice into 3/4-inch thick slices.
- Arrange the slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Mist tops of eggplant slices with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- Using a spatula, flip slices over and roast for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until eggplant is soft and browned.
- In a deep microwave-safe soup bowl, layer half of the eggplant slices.
- Top with half of the marinara sauce.
- Layer the remaining eggplant slices and top with the remaining marinara sauce.
- Evenly sprinkle with cheese and top with oregano and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Microwave, covered, for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- (If you aren’t enjoying this dish right away, layer the ingredients, then cover the bowl and store in refrigerator. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes to reheat and melt the cheese just before serving.).