Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a nice way to have broccoli when you're bored of just steaming it plain.
- 1 head broccoli (not the crowns, you want some stem)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Peel the broccoli stem and cut off the very bottom piece. Cut it lengthwise into quarters.
- Put the water and broccoli into a skillet just big enough for it to fit in one layer. Cover and turn the heat to medium.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Uncover, and salt to taste. Turn the heat to high and cook until the water all boils off.
- Drizzle on the olive oil, and continue to cook for a few minutes, turning the broccoli pieces with tongs, until it's getting browned in places.
- Sprinkle with hot red pepper flakes before serving.
What a tasty way to prepare broccoli! Such a nice change of pace from regular old steamed broccoli. I served this with macaroni and cheese. While I still could not convince the 2yo twins to eat it, my 5yo had TWO servings, as did hubby, who dislikes broccoli unless smothered in processed cheese. This one's a winner for sure. Thanks for posting!