Josh DeChellis of Manhattan's Japanese-inspired Sumile flavors these incredibly simple but hugely satisfying beef burgers with miso, soy sauce, wasabi powder, sesame oil and other Asian staples. Make Ahead: The ginger-pickled onions, wasabi mayonnaise and miso sauce can be refrigerated separately in airtight containers overnight. Wine: rich, velvety merlot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces pickled ginger
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 1/4 lbs aged ground sirloin or 2 1/4 lbs ground chuck
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 5 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons white miso (shiro)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sesame seed-topped hamburger buns or 6 hard rolls, lightly toasted
- 1In a large glass or stainless-steel baking dish, spread 1/4 cup of the pickled ginger in an even layer. Sprinkle the ginger with 2 tablespoons of the pickling juice from the jar. Lay the onion slices on top of the ginger in a single layer. Cover the onion slices with the remaining pickled ginger and pickling juice from the jar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- 2Meanwhile, pat the ground meat into 6 burgers and refrigerate until chilled.
- 3In a small bowl, stir the wasabi powder into the boiling water. Whisk in the mayonnaise and refrigerate. In another small bowl, whisk the miso with the honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil.
- 4Light a grill. Remove the onion slices from the pickling mixture. Generously season the sirloin burgers with salt and pepper. Grill the burgers over a hot fire for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Spread the wasabi mayonnaise on both sides of the buns. Lay the pickled onion slices on the bottom buns and set the burgers on top. Spoon the miso sauce over the burgers, close the sandwiches and serve.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sirloin Burgers With Wasabi Mayo and Ginger-Pickled Onions
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.9
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 117.1 mg
- Sodium 816.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 38.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: