1 hr 15 mins
This bun is also known as the Mexican bun. The rotiboy consists of three parts: the filling, topping, and sweet dough. The filling and topping can be prepared beforehand and kept in the refrigerator until ready for use. The ingredients and instructions for preparing each of the three parts are given as follows. Pls don't be put off by all the steps, i have just been very detailed. The aroma that is going to fill your home is WONDERFUL, but it's nothing compared to trying this fresh out of your oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 200 g butter, softened
- 160 g icing sugar, sifted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon coffee flavoring (available from bakery supplies shop, You can use 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder dissolved in 1)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon, can be added to the coffee flavouring for extra flavour
- 200 g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1For Filling:.
- 2Beat butter in electric mixer on medium speed with the paddle attachment for three minutes.
- 3Blend in vanilla essence and brown sugar.
- 4Spoon mixture into bowl and refrigerated until firm.
- 5Divide mixture into 20 g portion into ball. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- 6For Topping:.
- 7Beat butter and icing sugar in electric mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed for five minute until mixture is light and fluffy.
- 8Gradually beat in eggs.
- 9Mix in coffee flavouring.
- 10Sift flour onto mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
- 11Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 12For Sweet Dough:.
- 13Mix sifted flour, castor sugar and salt in electric mixer with dough hook on low speed for one minute
- 14Mix in yeast.
- 15Add egg and water or milk.
- 16Mix on low speed for another minute.
- 17Mix on medium speed for eight minutes.
- 18Mix in butter.
- 19Mix five minutes more on medium speed until soft, smooth and elastic(but not sticky) dough forms.
- 20Remove dough from mixture and shape into a ball.
- 21Divide the dough into 55 g portions(should get 17 portions).
- 22Roll each portion into a ball. Cover the balls of dough and leave to rest for 10 minute
- 23To shape the buns:.
- 24Flatten a ball of dough with the palm of your hand.
- 25Place a ball of filling in the centre of the dough.
- 26Gather the edge and pinch to seal. (Be sure to seal well or the filling will leak out during baking.)
- 27Pat into shape and place on a greased baking tray.
- 28Repeat with remaining portions of dough.
- 29Place each bun about 7.5 cm apart on the baking trays.
- 30Prove for 45 min in a warm place.
- 31Pipe the topping on the buns in a spiral, starting from the centre.
- 32Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg C for 12 to 15 min or until buns are lightly brown.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Singapore's Rottiboy (mexican Bun)
Serving Size: 1 (2095 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.0
- Calories from Fat 214
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.4 g
- Cholesterol 108.8 mg
- Sodium 316.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: