Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This bun is also known as the Mexican bun. The rotiboy consists of three parts: the filling, topping, and sweet dough. The filling and topping can be prepared beforehand and kept in the refrigerator until ready for use. The ingredients and instructions for preparing each of the three parts are given as follows. Pls don't be put off by all the steps, i have just been very detailed. The aroma that is going to fill your home is WONDERFUL, but it's nothing compared to trying this fresh out of your oven.
- 200 g salted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 70 g brown sugar
- 200 g butter, softened
- 160 g icing sugar, sifted
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon coffee flavoring (available from bakery supplies shop, You can use 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder dissolved in 1)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon, can be added to the coffee flavouring for extra flavour
- 200 g all-purpose flour, sifted
- 500 g bread flour, sifted
- 20 g powdered milk, sifted
- 75 g caster sugar
- 6 g salt
- 8 g instant yeast
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 270 g water (do not use milk powder if using milk) or 270 g milk (do not use milk powder if using milk)
- 60 g butter, softened
- For Filling:.
- Beat butter in electric mixer on medium speed with the paddle attachment for three minutes.
- Blend in vanilla essence and brown sugar.
- Spoon mixture into bowl and refrigerated until firm.
- Divide mixture into 20 g portion into ball. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- For Topping:.
- Beat butter and icing sugar in electric mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed for five minute until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in eggs.
- Mix in coffee flavouring.
- Sift flour onto mixture and mix on low speed until combined.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For Sweet Dough:.
- Mix sifted flour, castor sugar and salt in electric mixer with dough hook on low speed for one minute
- Mix in yeast.
- Add egg and water or milk.
- Mix on low speed for another minute.
- Mix on medium speed for eight minutes.
- Mix in butter.
- Mix five minutes more on medium speed until soft, smooth and elastic(but not sticky) dough forms.
- Remove dough from mixture and shape into a ball.
- Divide the dough into 55 g portions(should get 17 portions).
- Roll each portion into a ball. Cover the balls of dough and leave to rest for 10 minute
- To shape the buns:.
- Flatten a ball of dough with the palm of your hand.
- Place a ball of filling in the centre of the dough.
- Gather the edge and pinch to seal. (Be sure to seal well or the filling will leak out during baking.)
- Pat into shape and place on a greased baking tray.
- Repeat with remaining portions of dough.
- Place each bun about 7.5 cm apart on the baking trays.
- Prove for 45 min in a warm place.
- Pipe the topping on the buns in a spiral, starting from the centre.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 deg C for 12 to 15 min or until buns are lightly brown.
Apart from the topping this is exactly like the rotiboy I got in Java and Bali (no topping seems the norm in Indonesia). Delicious!!!
Thankyou for the recipe, make it today, and it turn out perfect.