Prep 30 mins
Cook 43 mins
Delightful and Rich!
- 6 ounces butterscotch chips
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- For the cake: In small saucepan, melt 2/3 cup of the butterscotch chips in 1/4 cup water.
- Combine flour and remaining cake ingredients and cooled butterscotch mixture at low speed until moistened.
- Beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes .
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans and cool completely.
- For the filling: In medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch.
- Stir in heavy cream, 1/3 cup water, egg and remaining 1/3 cup butterscotch chips.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, coconut and nuts.
- For the cream: In small bowl beat cream until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add brown sugar and vanilla.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble: Place cake layer on serving plate.
- Spread with 1/2 the butterscotch filling.
- Top with second layer, spread remaining filling on top to within 1/2 inch of edge.
- Frost sides and edge with cream.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.