Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
- 5 -7 lbs leg of lamb, bone-in
- 2 garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- 1⁄3 cup red currant jelly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated gingerroot or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Trim fat from lamb. Put small slits in surface of lamb; insert garlic slivers. Place lamb, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer. Roast in preheated oven at 325°F for 15 to 20 minutes per pound or until meat thermometer registers 145°F to 150°F for medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan stir together jelly, lemon peel, lemon juice, gingerroot, salt, mustard and pepper. Heat through; keep warm. Brush roast with jelly mixture several times during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Let roast stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
We had this for Easter dinner and it was very good. Used black currant jam so it was a little chunky but it still worked fine. Took it out at 145Â° and it was more like medium-well but still tasted great. Thanks for the recipe!