Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a recipe by Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) on Food Network. Saw her make this one Saturday morning and it looked so easy and tasty...and it is!!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup masa harina (corn flour, found in the Mexican food section of many supermarkets)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded for serving
- 1 cup onion, chopped for serving
- 2 -3 cups tortilla chips, for serving
- 6 -8 lime wedges, for serving
- Place the ground beef in a large pot and throw in the garlic. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain off the excess fat, and then pour in the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne. Stir together well, cover, and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes overly dry, add 1/2 cup water at a time as needed.
- After an hour, place the masa harina in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and stir together with a fork. Dump the masa mixture into the chili. Stir together well, and then taste and adjust the seasonings. Add more masa paste and /or water to get the chili to your preferred consistency, or to add more corn flavor. Add the beans and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with shredded Cheddar, chopped onions, tortilla chips and lime wedges.
Loved this chili!!! I read the two other reviews and wondered if something was missing, as I think I saw this show as well. I found a couple of bloggers that posted her recipe for the chili from her actual cookbook. It listed that there are optional ingredients; add a can of diced tomatoes & chilis (rotel was suggested) and a jalapeno - sliced, were the two other ingredients not found on foodnetwork.com. I made 1/2 of the recipe, just the two of us and made a couple of changes. I used 1/2 chipotle chili powder for half of the chili powder and the other 1/2 just regular chili powder, omitted the cayenne pepper because of the chipotle, use all kidney beans (what I had on hand) and did add the optional masa mixed with the water. For me, it made a thinner/soup type of consistency and not too thick for my tastes. Thanks for sharing the recipe and congrats on your win in the football pool!!!
This was definitely easy, but not quite perfect. I didn't have a problem with the consistency, but we did add quite a bit of water, which isn't mentioned in the ingredients list. It definitely needed more seasoning. It would be good as a burrito filling. Thanks for posting! Made for the Lively Lemon Lovelies, ZWT8.
This gets 5 stars for flavor, but only 3 stars for consistency. As written, with only 8 ounces of tomato sauce, it was way too thick, and I ended up adding another 15-oz can of tomato sauce. I skipped the masa step, because I didn't want to thicken it any more. But the flavor was excellent. Made for Spring 2012 PAC.