Cook1 hr 20 mins
This is a recipe by Ree Drummond (The Pioneer Woman) on Food Network. Saw her make this one Saturday morning and it looked so easy and tasty...and it is!!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup masa harina (corn flour, found in the Mexican food section of many supermarkets)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 -2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded for serving
- 1 cup onion, chopped for serving
- 2 -3 cups tortilla chips, for serving
- 6 -8 lime wedges, for serving
- Place the ground beef in a large pot and throw in the garlic. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain off the excess fat, and then pour in the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne. Stir together well, cover, and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes overly dry, add 1/2 cup water at a time as needed.
- After an hour, place the masa harina in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and stir together with a fork. Dump the masa mixture into the chili. Stir together well, and then taste and adjust the seasonings. Add more masa paste and /or water to get the chili to your preferred consistency, or to add more corn flavor. Add the beans and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with shredded Cheddar, chopped onions, tortilla chips and lime wedges.