Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is an easy budget stretching favorite from our early marriage. It freezes well for Once a Month Cooking, and makes a great big batch. My husband prefers it to never reach the freezer, though--just eat it for lunch until it's all gone. We make it with our "Parsley Pesto" which is more special. To make it vegan/vegetarian, omit the chicken broth.
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 can great northern bean
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cabbage (chopped)
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 (1 lb) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup broken spaghetti (or desired pasta)
- Heat water, chicken broth, 2 tsp.
- salt, beans, cabbage, carrots, canned tomatoes and celery.
- Cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, saute onions in oil for 5 min.
- Add zucchini, tomato, garlic to the saute--cook on low for 20 minutes, covered.
- Add saute to bean mixture along with parsley and noodles.
- Cook slowly, covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- *IfI am going to freeze this, I skip the pasta.
Even the carnivore hubby liked this one, very hearty. It could use a punch of flavor but that just means season to your taste. You could also use more broth and less water. I liked the flavor as it was, though.
This recipe is excellent - very versatile. In our house everyone likes a different type of chilli (tabasco, chilli flakes, strength of chilli etc etc) and this allows them all to add to taste. Serving sizes are generous - no one went hungry! Will definitely be making this again.
very tasty, could use a bit more flavouring but very good non the less.