Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I used to grow my own Roma tomatoes and make sauce with them, then I discovered Contadina tomatoes with Italian Herbs--now I have a quick sauce! Makes more than one meal, so save half and freeze for future dishes like lasagna.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 (28 ounce) canscontadina crushed tomatoes with herbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Sauté onions in large Dutch oven or stockpot, until they are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and Italian sausage and brown the meat with the onions and garlic, breaking up the meat as it browns.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Drain any fat off the meat.
- Add the cans of crushed tomatoes, cover and simmer a half an hour or more.
- This can be made in a crock pot -- just brown the meat and vegetables first and then add them to the crock pot. Add the tomatoes and simmer on high for 6 hours.