Recipe by eyechic
4 Ingredients, the simplest stuffed mushrooms, no pre cooking the sausage and the taste is incredible. Went to a party 40 years ago. I hated mushrooms, but these smelled so good, had to try them. I have been making them ever since. There is always someone who asks for the recipe.
- 1 (16 ounce) package white mushrooms
- 1 lb Italian sausage (Mild or Hot or Both)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 ounces red wine (use can to measure)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut ends off stems, and wipe mushrooms clean.
- Break off stems at cap. Save to throw in sause.
- Fill caps with Italian sausage (kind of mounded)
- Lay all in large, deep, fry pan or sauce pan.
- Pour tomato sause, wine mixture over.
- Cover, bring to a boil, lower temp to low.
- Simmer 1 l/2 hours,
- The Sausage adheres to the mushroom cap. I put them in a corning wear dish, over a warming candle . You can add different seasoning to taste, but you really don't need to.
- Tips: You can make a day ahead, refrigerate and lift off fat before you reheat in microwave or stove top.
- If you have too much sausage or visa versa, just throw in to sause and cook. Roll sausage into balls:).