Recipe by Pikake21
I found this recipe on the Becks&Posh blog. It was taken though from the cookbook: Unforgettable Coconut Cookbook. The picture looks so delish!
- 4 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons fresh yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 ounces melted butter
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, warmed to tepid (105F)
- 2 cups quality coconut milk, at room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon of the sugar and the yeast in the warmed milk.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl or Kitchen Aid bowl and stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg, melted butter and the milk/yeast mixture.
- Mix the ingredients to form a dough that no longer sticks to the bowl.
- Knead by hand on a lightly floured board, or using the dough attachment on the Kitchen Aid, until the dough is smooth and shiny.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic film.
- Leave in a warm place for an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Return the dough to the floured board and punch down using your fists.
- Divide the dough into 32 equal pieces and roll each into a ball shape.
- Oil a 10" round cake tin with sides at least 2" high.
- Pack the dough balls into the tin and leave in a warm place for a second rising.
- Again, the dough should double in size.
- Pour the coconut milk over the buns until it reaches the top of the buns.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Best served warm.