Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Classic Greek egg and lemon soup dish. From the cookbook Rice and Risotto. Posted for Zaar World Tour 4.
- 900 ml chicken stock (preferably home made)
- 1⁄3 cup long grain rice
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- Bring stock to boil in large saucepan, turn down to a simmer and add the rice, cook for about 12 minutes or until rice is tender, season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg yolks together and add half the lemon juice (2 Tbsp). Whisk to combine and keep whisking until smooth and bubbly. Add a ladle of the hot liquid to the egg yolks and whisk inches.
- Remove soup from the heat and slowly add the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Note: the soup must be removed from the heat in order not to curdle the eggs.
- Taste the soup and add the other 2 Tbsp of lemon juice if necessary, stir in parsley and serve immediately.
Simple and tasty, but needs 4 egg yolks (not 3), a little more rice, and to make it really satisfying, some finely chopped chicken meat.