Recipe by Sydney Mike
A friend of mine gave me this recipe recently, saying that "It's one of the BEST pumpkin bread puddings EVER!" This is one I'll be trying out sometime after Spring PAC is over in May '08!!
Top Review by LonghornMama
This was wonderful and so easy to make. I love bread pudding but the kids weren't so sure; however, they all enjoyed it. Used almost 8 cups day old French bread and 2% milk. Bought a can of organic pumpkin pie mix by mistake and was searching for a good recipe in which to use it. Glad I found this!Thanks for sharing the recipe!
FOR THE PUDDING
- 8 slices bread, cubed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 (14 ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE PUDDING, place cubed bread in greased crockpot.
- Beat together milk & eggs.
- Stir in sugar, butter, raisins, pie filling, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over bread & stir.
- Cover & cook on high 1 hour, then reduce heat to low & cook 3-4 hours or until temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- FOR THE SAUCE, just before pudding is done, melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in flour until smooth, then gradually add water, sugar & vanilla.
- Bring to boil, then cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour sauce over hot bread pudding & serve.