Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A friend of mine gave me this recipe recently, saying that "It's one of the BEST pumpkin bread puddings EVER!" This is one I'll be trying out sometime after Spring PAC is over in May '08!!
FOR THE PUDDING
- 8 slices bread, cubed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 (14 ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE PUDDING, place cubed bread in greased crockpot.
- Beat together milk & eggs.
- Stir in sugar, butter, raisins, pie filling, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over bread & stir.
- Cover & cook on high 1 hour, then reduce heat to low & cook 3-4 hours or until temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- FOR THE SAUCE, just before pudding is done, melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in flour until smooth, then gradually add water, sugar & vanilla.
- Bring to boil, then cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour sauce over hot bread pudding & serve.
This was wonderful and so easy to make. I love bread pudding but the kids weren't so sure; however, they all enjoyed it. Used almost 8 cups day old French bread and 2% milk. Bought a can of organic pumpkin pie mix by mistake and was searching for a good recipe in which to use it. Glad I found this!Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Great twist on bread pudding and I love that you make it in a crock pot!
I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. The only thing I did differently was to run it in the oven, when cook time was done in the crockpot. I like it a little drier, that's why i ran it in the oven, but it is an awesome recipe. The sauce is to die for!