1 hr 20 mins
Chock full of fruity flavours, this chutney is delicious! The recipe should make about 10 cups, so here's a chance to batch-cook enough chutney for your pantry. Delicious with curries. Actually, chutneys go with all red and grilled meats, should be an ingredient in barbecue sauces and can be added to sandwich fillings. Especially good with corned meats. Prep time is a wild guess: I haven't timed it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped (Granny Smith is best)
- 4 cups pears, peeled, cored and chopped (firm pears)
- 2 oranges, peel of, grated (okay, the grated peel of 2 oranges)
- 3 oranges, peeled, seeded and diced (remove all white pith)
- 3 lemons, large, unwaxed, sliced thin and slices quartered
- 3 onions, large, peeled, chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb dates, pitted, chopped
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup apple juice (or use orange juice)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons black pepper, coarse
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1Sterilise canning jars by putting them on an oven tin in a cold oven, and heating oven to 325 deg F/160 deg C for at least 10 - 15 minutes. Handle carefully when taking them out -- take out the entire tin with the bottles. Less mess.
- 2Combine all the prepared ingredients in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot.
- 3Bring to boil over high heat, then turn heat down and simmer, stirring now and then.
- 4Simmer open until the fruits are tender and the mixture has the consistency of a preserve or relish.
- 5Ladle into the hot sterilised jars, and seal. Well-sealed, this will keep almost forever.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Silver Spoon Fruity Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (3939 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.8
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 475.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.9 g
- Sugars 74.0 g
- Protein 3.5 g