Prep 2 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe came out of Saveur magazine. It looks really good, so I'm posting it before I lose the magazine :-) They recommend using goats milk ricotta, and sweet marsala wine instead of water. As I don't have a pasta machine, I'll probably use round egg roll wrappers instead of making the dough, and sprinkle them with sugar right after they come out of the oil.
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup minced candied citron peel
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (a pinch)
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Combine all filling ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Work in the butter until mixture forms fine crumbs. Add water and 1 egg, and mix into a dough. Knead for 10 minutes, using additional flour as needed. Let the dough sit in a cool place for 2 hours.
- Using a pasta machine, roll the dough out and cut into 24 -4" circles. Keep the circles covered with a towel as you work.
- Seal each dough circle around a cannoli core with a dab of the remaining beaten egg. Fry in oil for 20 seconds, remove and cool.
- Immediately before serving, pipe the filling into the shells.