Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Canada's Inn on the Twenty. Shrimp can be grilled or sauteed. You'll need these items to continue: six tall clear martini glasses, six bamboo skewers, and six Chinese paper cocktail umbrellas. This is also a "two-fer"-two recipes for the price of one! Today is your lucky day!
SHRIMP AND SAUCE
- 24 large uncooked tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 pimento stuffed olives, my addition
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 1⁄2 shallot, minced
GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2⁄3 cup milk or 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- GARLIC MASHED POTATOES: Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until they are fork tender.
- Drain thoroughly and return potatoes to the pot.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat.
- Add the minced garlic to infuse the flavor into the butter.
- Add the milk (or cream) just enough time to warm it.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes while adding the butter/garlic mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper. DO NOT overmix the potatoes!
- WHISKEY BUTTER SAUCE: Cut the butter up into small pieces and chill in the freezer. Place the wine, whiskey and shallot into a small pan.
- Simmer over low heat until mixture is reduced to 1 tablespoon.
- Remove from heat and add the butter, one piece at a time. Stir the butter into the sauce, whisking until melted.
- Keep cooking butter sauce on low heat until the ingredients are incorporated. The sauce should have a thick and creamy appearance.
- Keep sauce warm, but not over direct heat.
- SHRIMP: Place 4 shrimp on each bamboo skewer. Lightly oil the shrimp and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill on high just until flesh turns white-no longer translucent.
- (If you want you can lightly sautè the shrimp in a pan on medium-high heat using the same directions in Step #13.).
- Presentation: Divide and spoon the mashed potatoes into each martini glass.
- Stand a shrimp skewer upright but at an angle into the mashed potatoes.
- Place one stuffed green olive on the top end of each skewer.
- Pour whiskey sauce over each shrimp skewer.