Recipe by MrsSpike34
This recipe originates from Food and Wine, my sister in law passed it along. It is FANTASTIC! Great as a salad on a bed of greens, served it on toasted sandwich rounds (the 100 cal ones) on croissants or as an hor d'oeuvre as originally intended on toasted baguette rounds.
- 1 French bread, cut crosswise into thirty 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb bacon or 1⁄4 lb pancetta
- 3⁄4 lb shrimp, cooked and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 2 tablespoons basil, fresh chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- 3 ounces baby arugula
- 4 small plum tomatoes, thinly sliced crosswise
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the baguette slices on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes, or until just crisp. Let cool.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the pancetta slices or bacon in an even layer and cook over moderate heat until crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- 3. In a medium bowl, mix the shrimp with the mayonnaise, basil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on each of the baguette slices. Top with an arugula leaf, a slice of tomato and a scant tablespoon of the shrimp salad. Sprinkle with the crumbled pancetta and serve.
- Make Ahead The shrimp salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.