Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Dum di do! Shades of Cookie Bear and the Hudson Shrewsbury biscuits and the Cookie Bear Club that every kid of a certain age belonged to... Make your own homemade Shrewsburys.."so hurry, scurry, get your Shrewsbury now!"
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 8 ounces flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- raspberry jam
- Cream the butter and sugar, add the egg and rind and then beat well.
- Add the sifted flour and baking powder.
- Knead, roll out and cut into rounds.
- Make a small hole[just under 1 cm diameter] in the centre of every second biscuit.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 350 deg F.
- When cold, put the biscuits together with raspberry jam.
I loved eating these cookies and bought them all the time..now I save money by making my own and it tastes so good I store them in the cookie jar that's air tight and they stay fresh for ages.
I wasn't overly fussed with these biscuits. I may have over worked the biscuit dough and made it tough and next time I will leave out the lemon rind as I found this over powering and all I could taste was the lemon. I will give them another go it was my first time for making these. Will let you know next time.