These meatballs are hearty and juicy. The sweet sauce adds flavors sure to inspire thoughts of New England in the fall.
- 340.19 g tomato sauce
- 29.58 ml dry sherry
- 236.59 ml diced plum tomato
- 236.59 ml sliced mushrooms
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cloves
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml ground nutmeg
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 226.79 g ground chuck
- 113.39 g ground veal
- 113.39 g ground pork
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 118.29 ml crumbled mushroom
- 118.29 ml chopped spinach
- 59.14 ml shredded parmesan cheese
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 236.59 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sauce: Combine tomato sauce, dry sherry, diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, cinnamon, clove, brown sugar, oregano, and basil in a sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce to medium low and allow to continue simmering for 30 minutes.
- Meatballs: combine meats, bread crumbs, crumbled mushrooms, spinach, Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and egg in a mixing bowl.
- Mix with hands until well blended. (More bread crumbs may be added if mixture is too thin).
- Form 2-inch balls and place in an ungreased baking dish.
- Bake at 375 for 12 minutes.
- Turn and continue to bake for an additional 12 minutes.
- Pour sauce over meatballs and sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the top.
- Broil on high for 7-10 minutes (until cheese starts to brown).
These were fabulous..I was concerned by the ingredients in the sauce that we may not care for it, but it was lovely! Made for PAC fall 2012 and I suspect I will be making over and over again.
Yummy!!! I didn't have Sherry in the house so I substituted vermouth. I sprinkled a little chopped basil toward the end of the baking for color.
I followed the recipe exactly and perfection! Delicious! Thanks for sharing.