These meatballs are hearty and juicy. The sweet sauce adds flavors sure to inspire thoughts of New England in the fall.
- 340.19 g tomato sauce
- 29.58 ml dry sherry
- 236.59 ml diced plum tomato
- 236.59 ml sliced mushrooms
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cloves
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml ground nutmeg
- 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 226.79 g ground chuck
- 113.39 g ground veal
- 113.39 g ground pork
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 118.29 ml crumbled mushroom
- 118.29 ml chopped spinach
- 59.14 ml shredded parmesan cheese
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 236.59 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sauce: Combine tomato sauce, dry sherry, diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, cinnamon, clove, brown sugar, oregano, and basil in a sauce pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce to medium low and allow to continue simmering for 30 minutes.
- Meatballs: combine meats, bread crumbs, crumbled mushrooms, spinach, Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and egg in a mixing bowl.
- Mix with hands until well blended. (More bread crumbs may be added if mixture is too thin).
- Form 2-inch balls and place in an ungreased baking dish.
- Bake at 375 for 12 minutes.
- Turn and continue to bake for an additional 12 minutes.
- Pour sauce over meatballs and sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the top.
- Broil on high for 7-10 minutes (until cheese starts to brown).