Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A change of pace from the usual savory snack mixes, this slightly sweet mix with Shreddies, nuts, and dried fruit is a delicious mix to put out when guests arrive, or pack as a mid afternoon snack. From Bake Fest 2010.
- 4 cups shreddies cereal
- 1 cup pecans, pieces
- 1 cup almonds, slivered
- 2 cups pretzel twists (mini) or 2 cups pretzel sticks
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, ground
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch clove, ground
- 1 cup dried cranberries or 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 250°F Arrange the pecans and almonds in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and fragrant; cool slightly.
- 2. Combine the nuts with the Shreddies, pretzels and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl. Stir the melted butter with the sugar, ginger, cinnamon, salt and cloves until combined; drizzle over the cereal mixture. Toss thoroughly to coat the pieces evenly.
- 3. Spread mixture on two, large, rimmed baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans once, for 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp and fragrant; cool completely. Stir in the cranberries and white chocolate chips (if using); transfer to an airtight container. Reserve at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Makes 12 cups (3 L).
Truly delish!!!! The gingerbread flavour was so great with the dried fruit and salty pretzels. YUMMO! I used swedish all natural whole rye puffs as a sub for the shreddies and threw in some peanuts just cause I had them. It was soo good, I could hardly stop myself munching. :)
I left out the chocolate and decreased butter and sugar a tad to make this more waistline friendly. It didnt suffer taste wise.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, Kat!
Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #31 February 2011.