Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from Martha White ... a simpler way to make and serve strawberry shortcake.
- crisco original nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups martha white self-rising flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 cups sliced strawberries, sweetened to taste
- HEAT oven to 375°F Spray bottom only of 13 x 9-inch pan. Combine flour and 2/3 sugar in large bowl; mix well. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk and egg; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread batter evenly in prepeared pan.
- BAKE 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- COMBINE cream and 1 tablespoon sugar in small bowl; beat until soft peaks form. Cut shortcake into 12 squares. Split squares; place on individual dessert plates. Fill each serving with strawberries. Top each with more strawberries and whipped cream.