An heirloom recipe passed down from my Mother...I make them every Christmas no matter what!
Make and share this Shortbread Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Stir the softened butter and sugar together until well mixed.
- Add in the flour a cup at a time; you may have to knead in the last cup but don't over mix the dough.
- At this point I separate the dough roll into 3 logs about 2 inches in diameter and chill them slightly.
- If you are real adventurous you can roll the dough out and use cookie cutters.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Once they are chilled enough to slice them, place the slices on an ungreased cookie sheet. You can make them thin or thick (I like them about an 1/8 of an inch), just bake until the underneath is slightly golden.
- They are nicest if you can hide them away for a couple of weeks in a tin, Mum always said they got *shorter* I think it meant richer and more buttery tasting.
- I only make these at Christmas and you can decorate them with sprinkles if you like before baking.