A dear friend of mine gave me this recipe. Her mother made this for their family while she was growing up. Amazing soup with a surprisingly meaty texture and beautiful color. Wow! Even cooler? The variations she suggested. I've tried the Baghdadi variation - and I can't imagine the other ones being anything less than marvelous. This is THE lentil soup recipe I use now.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine onion, lentils, and liquid. Simmer about 1/2 hour, until lentils have disintegrated.
- 2If the soup seems too thick for your taste, add water to reach desired consistency.
- 3Add in cumin and lemon juice and adjust salt or pepper to taste.
- 4Serve with oil on the side for everyone to sprinkle on their own portion.
- 6Stir in caramelized onions- i large onion caramelized in 2-3 Tbsp oil.
- 7Omit cumin and stir in 4 crushed garlic cloves fried in 3 Tbsp oil with 2 tsp crushed mint.
- 8Baghdadi Jews add 1 tsp turmeric and hot chilies
- 9Add bulgur wheat 15 minutes before end of cooking.
- 10Add 2 peeled and chopped tomatoes while cooking
- 11Add 1 lb shredded fresh leaf spinach (or 1/2 lb frozen) 10 minutes before end of cooking.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shorbet Ads (Lentil Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.1
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 14.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: