Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A great winter pie from an Amish furniture store flyer, submitted to them by an Amish quilter. It's all carbs, but yummy. Some people like to increase the quantity of the crumb mixture to make a deeper topping.
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon shortening, rounded
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup molasses (I like a mix of Grandma and Plantation brands.)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- Mix flour, sugar and shortening to form crumbs. Save slightly over half for topping.
- Mix eggs, molasses, and 3/4 cup of hot water.
- Add the smaller portion of the dry mixture to this.
- Disolve baking soda in the rest of the hot water and add to molasses/crumb mixture.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell and top with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Shake when you take it out to see if it is solid.
- Can be served cold.