Recipe by litldarlin
Growing up poor never seemed to faze my mom, she could throw together anything and everything that was in her cabinets and still make our meals the best we ever had. Mom called it "vegetable soup" b/c back then there was no meat in this recipe. Hamburger was added later on when we could afford to buy meat.
Top Review by evewitch
This was too bland and too heavy on the tomato flavor for my tastes. My family ate it but I would not make it again. Very easy, however. I used Sunshine brand mixed vegetables that have potatoes in them (which lines up with part of GreeksWife's suggestion).
- 1 lb hamburger or 1 lb ground round
- 2 (10 ounce) cans mixed vegetables
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole tomatoes (cut up)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large onion (chopped up)
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper