Recipe by Lili's Mommy
I haven't made this in years, but when I found this recipe again it all came flooding back. This is a little more complicated to make but the taste is wonderful.
- 6 large chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups spinach
- 12 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced (button mushrooms can be substituted)
- 2 cups white wine, divided
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- fresh basil, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound chicken breasts until they are flat and can handle stuffing easily.
- In a saute pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until almost caramelized.
- Add 1/2 cup of wine, mushrooms and the spinach.
- Put a lid on the pan and let the spinach steam for approximately 3 minutes, or until the wine is gone.
- Add another 1/2 cup of wine and cook uncovered until the liquid is gone.
- Stir frequently to keep it from sticking.
- Add salt, pepper and basil, then taste.
- This is the time for the red pepper flakes if you feel it is needed.
- Cook for another minute.
- Grate cheeses. Place a healthy pinch of the cheese mixture on each chicken breast.
- Add between 1-2 tablespoons of mushroom mixture to each breast, depending on the size of the flattened breast.
- Roll the chicken breast and place them roll side down in a baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Check to make sure the juices run clear.
- While the chicken is baking, add the rest of the wine to the leftover mushroom mixture and cook on high for a few minutes. You want to leave a little of the liquid this time.
- If you want more cheese, add the leftover cheese mixture to the top and bake until melted. Otherwise, set the rest of the cheese aside for something else.
- Serve with the mushroom sauce, and nice salad and homemade mashed potatoes.