Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yet another of my favorites from the Vegetarian Times! Again, preparation and cooking times are estimates.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh savory, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- In a large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add shallots, and cook about 2 minutes, until they just start to soften.
- Add mushrooms, savory, half of the salt and pepper; stir often, until mushrooms release juices- about 5 or 6 minutes.
- In bowl, whisk eggs until frothy.
- Stir in cheese and remaining salt and pepper.
- Pour eggs over mushroom in skillet, tilting pan to spread evenly.
- Cook without disturbing until about 1/4 inch around the outer edge is set.
- With a spatula, lift some of the egg mixture from the sides of the pan, tipping pan to allow uncooked egg to flow to the bottom.
- Place skillet in oven, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- (It's usually sometime between there, so aim for about 18 minutes just to be safe.) Invert frittata onto a large serving plate, cut into wedges, and serve warm.