Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
This is one of my favourite things to make when I suddenly have to feed more people than I'd anticipated. (or any other time!) Due to the nature of the recipe, you can use more or less potatoes or vegetables, depending on what you have on hand -- or how far you need this one-dish meal to stretch!! Freezes well. (prep time doesn't include making mashed potatoes.)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock (I use 1 tablespoon bouillon for 1 cup water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups cooked mashed potatoes (about 5 medium sized potatoes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry beef until no pink is showing. Drain fat.
- Add onion and fry until onion starts getting soft, then add flour, salt and pepper.
- Stir until combined and then add beef stock and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir to boiling and until thickened.
- Add frozen mixed veggies and continue cooking until vegetables are thawed and well mixed with beef.
- Spread meat mixture in 2 quart casserole dish. Cover with mashed potatoes and bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350F, until heated through and potatoes are slightly browned.