Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This pie is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter evening.
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 ounces vegetarian ground beef
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbells mushroom gravy (or 1 1/4 cups prepared vegetarian gravy of your choice)
- 1 (6 ounce) canmixed peas and carrots, drained
- garlic powder
- cayenne, to taste
- Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash with the margarine and soy milk or nondairy creamer. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium pan, sauté the onion in the oil until translucent.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cooked onions, faux beef crumbles, mushroom gravy, peas and carrots, and spices. Pour into a pie pan. Top the crumble mixture with the potatoes, spreading to the edges.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until the potatoes are browned and the crumble mixture bubbles out the edges.
This was very good. I liked that there are no dairy products since I'm lactose intolerant. I fell in love with Shepard's Pie as a kid and now I make it at home. Perfect!!
3 Stars, I loved it. I had a very small serving along side some steamed broccoli and cauliflower and it's very filling. Hearty, homey and satisfying. It's very easy to put together and doesn't take an experienced chef and the directions are concise and easy to follow and no adjustments need to be made to the times given. Don't be afraid to add that dash of cayenne at the end, it adds the finishing touch.