Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Shells and cheese can be a great snack, but Johnsonville can transform it into a meal! This recipe combines all of your favorite Italian cheeses with the savory deliciousness of Johnsonville Italian Sausages. The result? An authentic Italian dish that will leave your stomach full and happy.
- 1 (16 ounce) package Johnsonville Mild or Sweet Ground Sausage
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) box jumbo pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (24 ounce) jars marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 (15 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, until pork is no longer pink; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, cook pasta shells according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Using a pastry brush, coat sides and bottom of a 3-quart baking dish with oil.
- Pour half of the marinara sauce into baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, ricotta cheese, 2-½ cups of mozzarella, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, Romano cheese, basil, pepper and prepared sausage.
- Stuff shells with meat mixture; arrange in baking dish.
- Pour remaining marinara sauce over shells.
- Cover and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with parsley.