Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have been making this for years, as it is quick and is a complete meal in one dish. I am posting my basic recipe but, if you'd rather have tomato sauce than gravy, try that instead. If you'd like, you can sprinkle about 1/2 cup of your favorite cheese over the potatoes before sprinkling with paprika. And you can also use two 16-oz. bags of frozen mixed vegetables instead of the corn, carrots, and peas, or any leftover vegetables you may have. This is really an incredibly versatile recipe! I would also suggest you check the seasoning before adding the cooked mixture to the baking dish. Both the onion soup mix and gravy have sodium, so taste it before adding salt. If you don't have leftover mashed potatoes, instant potatoes will work fine.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef gravy
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) cansliced carrots, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion, and mushrooms until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are wilted. Drain any excess liquid, if necessary.
- Add the soup mix, gravy, garlic powder, pepper and salt (if using); mix well.
- Add the corn, carrots, and peas.
- Place in a 2- or 2-1/2-quart casserole or baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Is this a family recipe? Want a Cajun cousin? I'm packing my bags for a visit. One for my best of 2012 and made for PRMR.
This is one of the best I made. Everyone loved it. It's full of veggies and taste great. I used baby carrots, that I chopped and steamed. And no paprika on top because of my son. Thanks Jackie :) Made for PRMR tag game
Great meal and loved it was one dish! I did double this recipe because we enjoy leftovers. Very flavorful and will make this again instead of my recipe. :) Made and reviewed for the Culinary Quest 2015.