1/4 Photos of Sheila's Shepherd's Pie
I have been making this for years, as it is quick and is a complete meal in one dish. I am posting my basic recipe but, if you'd rather have tomato sauce than gravy, try that instead. If you'd like, you can sprinkle about 1/2 cup of your favorite cheese over the potatoes before sprinkling with paprika. And you can also use two 16-oz. bags of frozen mixed vegetables instead of the corn, carrots, and peas, or any leftover vegetables you may have. This is really an incredibly versatile recipe! I would also suggest you check the seasoning before adding the cooked mixture to the baking dish. Both the onion soup mix and gravy have sodium, so taste it before adding salt. If you don't have leftover mashed potatoes, instant potatoes will work fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef gravy
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can sliced carrots, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 6 cups warm seasoned mashed potatoes
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion, and mushrooms until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are wilted. Drain any excess liquid, if necessary.
- 3Add the soup mix, gravy, garlic powder, pepper and salt (if using); mix well.
- 4Add the corn, carrots, and peas.
- 5Place in a 2- or 2-1/2-quart casserole or baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top and sprinkle with paprika.
- 6Bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sheila's Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (563 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.0
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 54.8 mg
- Sodium 1616.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 27.0 g