Recipe by dicentra
Cooking Light. Note resting and chilling time. Make ahead recipe.
Top Review by Halima Dances
This was awesome. The first time I made it I didn't rinse it enough and it was pretty salty, but the second time I soaked the cabbage and drained a few times before squeezing to reduce the saltiness. Love it! I have been standing in front of the fridge eating it out of the canning jar. I have found that a 2 lb head of napa cabbage will make just about a quart canning jar full. Thanks for this great recipe.
- 14 cups coarsely chopped napa cabbage (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sambal oelek or 2 1⁄2 tablespoons thai chili paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cabbage and salt in a large bowl, tossing gently to combine. Weigh down cabbage with another bowl.
- Let stand at room temperature 3 hours, tossing occasionally. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain and squeeze dry.
- Combine cabbage, sesame seeds, and remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.