Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Asparagus to Zucchini
Make and share this Sesame Soy Braised Bok Choy recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head bok choy
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Trim the bok choy. Slice the leafy portion from the stalks. Cut both the leaves and stalks into large matchstick sized pieces, keeping two piles.
- Heat a large heavy skillet until hot. Add oil and coat the pan. Add the bok choy stems; stir fry about 5 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and stir fry briefly.
- Add bok choy greens, chicken stock, sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook until bok choy is tender and glazed with sauce 5-8 minutes.
- Remove cover, sprinkle with sesame seeds and increase heat to medium high.
- Cook until liquid evaporates 2-3 minutes.
I love bok choy, and this recipe is a simple, tasty and quick-fix way to make it. I liked the garlic flavor and the tanginess of the rice vinegar and sugar. I added some sliced onion, just as my preference. Thanx for a great new bok choy recipe!
I love this--the "glaze" has great flavor. The only issue I had was that I wanted to make this into a vegetarian *meal*, so only having bok choy didn't seem like enough variety. So--as you can see in the picture I uploaded--I added red and orange bell peppers, 5 Thai chili peppers (whole), and 2 rainbow carrots. Because of all that I added, I changed the amount of ingredients to serve 5 instead of the 4 that the recipe is listed for.