Recipe by PaulaG
A relatively quick way to have a flavorful vegetarian dinner. This dish is a meal within itself. This recipe is adapted from Favorite Brand Name Fresh Foods cookbook.
Top Review by Elisa72
The whole family loved this, although the spaghetti squash hater skipped that part. I used creamy peanut butter instead of peanuts (for the nut hater). I'm sure that changed the dish some, but I doubt that it changed it much. The flavors were really nice - the vegetables all shone through and the sauce ingredients blended nicely. We'll definitely have this again!
- 1 spaghetti squash (3 pounds)
- 78.07 ml sesame seeds
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 78.07-118.29 ml hot water
- 29.58 ml reduced sodium soy sauce
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml sesame oil
- 4.92 ml cornstarch
- 4.92 ml red pepper flakes
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92-9.85 ml peanut oil
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 226.79 g fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut on the diagnoal in 1-inch lengths
- 78.07 ml coarsely chopped peanuts
- 78.07 ml minced fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- With a long fork, pierce the whole spaghetti squash several times.
- Place in microwave and microwave for 5 minutes on high.
- Turn and continue to microwave for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and allow to stand while prepareing remaining ingredients.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat until hot and add sesame seeds.
- Cook and stir for 45 seconds or until golden brown.
- Place the toasted seasame seeds in blender along with vegetable cube, hot water, soy sauce, sugar, seasame oil, cornstarch, red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce.
- Process until mixture is coarsely pureed.
- Heat wok over medium-high heat for 1 minute or until hot; add peanut oil and heat for 30 seconds.
- Add asparagus; stir-fry 2 minutes add carrots and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the red bell pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in seasame seed mixture and cook 1 minute or until sauce is thickened.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- With a fork break the squash up into strings and divide on individual serving plates.
- Top the squash with the seasame mixture, garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro tossing to coat.
- Serve immediately.