Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
My interest in serviette folding was born on a wet day at my Grandmother's house, I was a pre teen and helping her with the ironing and watched while she ironed serviettes into wonderful shapes and neatly stacked them for use. I asked her to show me how and she did. Once you know several folds and people see them, they often have at least one other that you haven't seen before, you gain knowledge of the new one and on it goes. Now that I have already posted all the napkin folds I know, I decided to look on the net for some new ones to learn. This one was called the French Pleat and has the advantage of having a diagonal pocket in the centre into which a name card, small bon bon or bloom can be inserted. This is also an excellent Make in advance Serviette that can be ironed and stacked for future use easily. And the bonus? it's so Elegant and easy to do !
- 1 paper, serviette (large)
- 1 cloth, serviette (large)
- Lay your serviette square out flat before you. Fold it in half horizontally.
- Take the serviette and fold it in half again vertically so that it is now a small square a quarter the size of the original square.
- Only one corner of the square will have 4 open / loose edges, rotate your square so that it is a flat diamond shape with the loose edges pointing upwards. We will call this the North corner.
- Take the topmost of these points and make a relatively tight roll towards the South position, at about the half way point you won't be able to roll any further and you will have a diagonal neat cuff going east/west across the diamond shape.
- Now take the next loose corner at North and gently bring it South, tucking it underneath the cuff that you just made in the previous step but leaving a pleat showing above, the same width of the cuff below. You will now have two diagonal neat cuffs/pleats going east/west across the diamond shape.
- Then take the next loose point at North and bring it to the South position, and still holding the point, start rolling it under itself heading towards the North position, at about the half way point you won't be able to roll any further and you will have a third horizontal neat cuff going east/west across the diamond shape that's next to the second one.
- Rotate your diamond shape so that the North point is now the top right corner and you have a square shape in front of you with three diagonal pleats running from the top left corner to the bottom right corner.
- Gently turn the serviette over and bring the top right and bottom right corners into the center. Repeat with the top left and bottom left corners.
- Turn back to the front side and you will have a very neat rectangle that has three diagonal pleats running across it.
- An elegant and stylish serviette that will impress any guest.