Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This salad is light and refreshing, and tastes better the second day!
- 1 lb chickpeas, dry
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh-squeezed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you like it hot)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted (chop roughly or leave whole, your choice)
- 2 -3 medium tomatoes, firm
- 6 -8 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the chickpeas, cover with several inches of cold water and let soak overnight (alternatively, use the quick-soak method), then drain.
- Place the chickpeas in a pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 1 hour or until tender. Rinse in cold water, drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and cayenne pepper with a fork.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together all ingredients with the dressing until well mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until chilled and ready to serve.