Recipe by Anita Harris
Here's a great bean side dish from Sandra Lee. These are a really nice change from your typical refried beans. Great with any Mexican dish!! Give these a try!
Top Review by Ginny Sue
Very good flavor to go with Mexican meals. I used a 40 ounce and a 15 ounce can of beans, both of which I drained but did not rinse. I used some dried onions instead of the frozen. Used all the other ingredients as listed in the recipe. I used the whole bottle of beer, but also simmered this for several hours which reduced the beer to a thick flavorful sauce. Great recipe for a crowd!
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans (undrained)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (undrained)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped frozen onion (or saute 1/2 cup diced onion in a little oil until soft)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic (or use garlic powder to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottlemexican beer (don't substitute. If you like your beans a little thicker use only half the bottle)
- 1⁄3 cup bacon bits
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh lime, sliced into wedges (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot, over medium-high heat, combine all of the ingredients except the cilantro leaves and lime wedges.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
- NOTE: I serve mine in individual bowls topped with some shredded Monterey Jack cheese-Yum!).