Recipe by awalde
4 in 1! With the same dough you'll prepare a 4 different cookies to offer to your guests!
Top Review by Studentchef
Such good cookie, I just loved them! Althouhg you missed a couple of steps when it came to adding the egg ,and mixing the flour in, I was experienced enough to know when to mix the remaining ingredients. My favourite two types of cookies were the ginger and the cinnamon. Both went very well with the recipe, and my tea.
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh ginger, grated
- cardamom, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Add to each portion the desired quantity of spieces.
- Place one portion on a sheet of plastic wrap on a work surface.
- Using your hands and the plastic wrap, roll the dough into a log 1 inch in diameter, making sure that the plastic wrap covers the entire roll.
- Flatten the ends of the log by gently tapping them on the work surface, then fold the plastic wrap over the ends.
- Roll the log a few more times to make as smooth and even a cylinder as possible (for round cookies).
- Wrap the log in an additional sheet of plastic.
- Repeat with the remaining 3 dough portions.
- Lay the four logs in the refrigerator until they are firm, for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- To Bake: Position a rack in mid oven and pre-heat to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
- Have 2 ungreased baking sheets ready.
- Remove 2 logs from the fridge and unwrap them.
- Cut log into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place slices on baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart; they spread as thy bake.
- Bake cookies about 10 minutes, until their edges are golden and tops are pale gold.
- Then transfer the cookies to wire rack(s).
- Cool completely.