Recipe by Kozmic Blues
From: 500 Vegan Recipes. Quick, simple, and so easy to throw together on a weeknight! Many of the wonderful vegan chorizo recipes I've tried need to be prepared, kneaded, and then steamed for 30-40 minutes, so this is a nice quick way to add a little spicy flair to your dishes. Throw some of these crumbles in with your beans and rice, chilli, tacos or tofu scrambles. They are also great as a topping for a "taco" pizza, or mixed into cheesy pasta for a 'Chilli Mac' type dish.
Top Review by larue816
Amazing! I used this in a taco shell with sauteed kale, sweet onion, and red pepper and a little cheese and salsa. SO GOOD! I made sure to really brown the crumbles for a tad longer even than 8 minutes. Beats meat, WAY more flavor!
- 1⁄2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried onion flakes (or 1/4 teaspoon onion powder)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, stir together the gluten, yeast, salt, cumin, cayenne, paprika, chili, and onion.
- Pour water, vinegar, ketchup, and oil on top, stir with a fork and start using your fingertips to turn into small crumbles.
- Start frying the chorizo in a large non stick pan on medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 8 minutes, or until browned up.