Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I rescued this salsa recipe by adopting it from the recipezaar account, and plan to nurse it back to health when i get the chance :) I think with a bit of tweaking, this recipe could be really good!
- 1⁄3 cup jalapeno (slices)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, peeled
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder or 1⁄8 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg (accent)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 (7 ounce) can Old El Paso green chilies, peeled, chopped (chopped! these are not NOT hot)
- Get out the blender.
- assemble the ingredients: At this point you should barely have enough room to put the lid on the blender.
- Now the trick is to turn the blender on and off quickly on "chop" speed if you have one with variable speeds.
- That is real slow.
- Best if you got one with a pulse button.
- This is one ya really don't want all over the kitchen.
- You can do this with a blender that has only on/off by not leaving it on till you got spicy tomato soup.
- However, a good stiff shove to the bottom with a wooden spoon of the tomatoes that are floatin to the top tryin to get away from the Jalapenos will help things along quite nicely.
- All you wanna do is get them broken into large pieces and mixed thoroughly.
- No more than fifteen seconds on total.
- This should be about a Quart and a half.
- I would recommend you put this Gem in Glass jars and Lid/ring them and refrigerate for a while but it is ready right now just gets better after sittin a spell.
- It'll keep a week or so in the icebox, most likely won't last that long anyhow.
- Only problem, which I have a solution to, Is that after a period of time there is so much acid in this it starts attacking the metal lid/ring.
- Solution: I have recently come across some rather sturdy white plastic screw on lids by "BALL" (r) that work very well.
Needs cilantro to be authetic salsa. Also lacking lemon or lime juice. Omit the sugar and MSG please.