1/3 Photos of Secret-Ingredient Chocolate Chunk Cookies
2 hrs 8 mins
Sorry to disappoint, but the secret ingredient isn't anything exotic or special: it's just cornstarch. Yes, cornstarch. If you like your cookies to have that crispy exterior but still have a chewy interior, then this recipe is for you. It's the cornstarch that lets that happen. That's how I like my cookies and this recipe has fast become a family favourite. You can use regular chocolate chips in these, but it really is worth it to chop up some great chocolate instead. Thanks to Anna Olson of the Sugar tv show for the great tip.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg (take 30 minutes to bring it to room temperature first)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into small chunks
- 1In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars until smooth (I do this by hand, with a wooden spoon).
- 2Stir in vanilla and then blend in egg.
- 3Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt (I sift these four ingredients through a sieve first) and combine; stir in chocolate chunks and stir to incorporate chunks throughout the dough.
- 4Chill dough in fridge for one hour, two if you can spare the time.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F; line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- 6Drop dough by tablespoons onto cookie sheets and bake in preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown around the edges.
- 7Remove cookies to wire racks and let cool.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Secret-Ingredient Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (988 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.7
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 14.4 mg
- Sodium 65.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 0.8 g