Recipe by seashells63
I have always made this. They couldn't get enough of it. It gets many raves. It is very rich, filling and doesn't last that long!
Top Review by Jockey
The only reason I give this a 4 star rating rather than a 5 is that I changed it up just a little to give it more of zing. I used swiss and some pepper cheese, added 1/8 tsp of nutmeg, cut the pasta by a 1/2 cup (for more sauce less noodles), and added some peas. I had some deli ham I needed to use up and this fit it like a glove. Easy to make and tasted like I had done a lot more. Will keep it, Thanks.
- 2 1⁄2 cups ziti pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups colby cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked ham, sliced into thin strips
- 1⁄2-1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 F
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in 3 quart saucepan over low heat.
- Cook garlic in butter 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in mustard and Colby cheese.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Stir pasta and ham into cheese sauce.
- Pour into ungreased 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.