Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have always made this. They couldn't get enough of it. It gets many raves. It is very rich, filling and doesn't last that long!
- 2 1⁄2 cups ziti pasta, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cups colby cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked ham, sliced into thin strips
- 1⁄2-1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 350 F
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- While pasta is cooking, melt butter in 3 quart saucepan over low heat.
- Cook garlic in butter 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in mustard and Colby cheese.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted.
- Stir pasta and ham into cheese sauce.
- Pour into ungreased 2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
The only reason I give this a 4 star rating rather than a 5 is that I changed it up just a little to give it more of zing. I used swiss and some pepper cheese, added 1/8 tsp of nutmeg, cut the pasta by a 1/2 cup (for more sauce less noodles), and added some peas. I had some deli ham I needed to use up and this fit it like a glove. Easy to make and tasted like I had done a lot more. Will keep it, Thanks.