Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a delicious dish in a light cream sauce, and gets great flavor from the saffron. This would be great for a special occasion, or as an appetizer for a dinner party, and it's great with just plain white rice.
- saffron thread (a generous pinch)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 20 large scallops, with any juices reserved
- 4 tablespoons dry champagne (and then you can drink the rest! -- ) or 4 tablespoons sparkling wine (and then you can drink the rest! -- )
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 a lemon
- salt and pepper
- flat leaf parsley sprig, to garnish
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over high heat, add the saffron threads and toast them just until they start to give off their aroma(not very long, be sure not to burn them).
- Take the saffron threads out of the skillet and set aside.
- Melt half of the butter in the pan and start frying the scallops in batches, adding more butter as needed. Fry them so they are cooked through and lightly browned on each side.
- Transfer the scallops to a warm dish and keep covered.
- Add the saffron to the cooking juices, along with the champagne, cream, and any reserved scallop juices and stir.
- Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat slightly and simmer for about 10 minutes, until reduced to a consistency that coats the back of a spoon.
- Add freshly squeezed lemon juice from the half a lemon, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the scallops to the pan and stir until just heated through.
- Transfer to plates and garnish with parsley. Enjoy :).
What a winner. I adjusted the serving potyion to 1 and it worked great. This was a treat. I served with a little angel Hair Pasta and Asparagus.