1/3 Photos of Seared Pan-Fried Limed Scallops With Bacon, Chives and Chervil
1 hr 10 mins
French Tart's Note:
This is a truly delicious and such an elegant starter OR luncheon dish; the dressing can be prepared in advance, as can the bacon. Then, it's just a last minute assembly job whilst the scallops are being cooked - they only need about 2 minutes each side in a very hot pan. If you cannot get hold of fresh chervil, which has such a delicate flavour, don't bother using dried chervil, it tastes like grass!!! However, you can use some very finely chopped parsley OR a parsley and fennel mix instead. If you are watching your fat intake, substitute the streaky bacon for lean ham, but still crisp it up, as it is the crunchy texture that makes this dish so lovely.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon walnut vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil or 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1First, make the dressing - this can be made up to one day in advance.
- 2Mix the walnut vinegar, olive or sunflower oil, honey & Dijon mustard together in a jar. Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste. Seal and set to one side.
- 3About 1 hour before you want to serve the scallops, wash them, pat them dry, and then leave them to marinate in the zest and juice of the lime. Mix them around, ensuring that they all get a coating of the lime.
- 4Then, cook the streaky bacon in a large frying pan until very crispy and well coloured. Set the one side.
- 5When you wish to serve the salad, arrange all the leaves into attractive individual salad bowls or plates.
- 6In a large frying pan or skillet, add a mere dash of olive oil to grease the pan and set it over a very high heat. As soon as the frying pan is very hot, add the scallops - watch them VERY closely, they need about 2 minutes EACH side depending on the size and thickness of them - you must NOT overcook them!
- 7When they have been seared & cooked both sides, take them out of the frying pan & arrange them over the top of the salad leaves. (Six scallops per person for a main meal and four per person for a starter.).
- 8Pour the dressing over the top and then crumble the bacon over - keeping fairly large pieces. (Three rashers per person for a main meal and 2 rashers per person for a starter.).
- 9Finally, liberally sprinkle the chopped chervil and chives over the top of the salad; garnish with cherry tomatoes & a slice of lime if you wish.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Seared Pan-Fried Limed Scallops With Bacon, Chives and Chervil
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 470.5
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Sodium 739.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 23.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: