Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This mineral-rich salad presents itself beautifully. It has long been a favourite at Toronto's Big Carrot deli.
- 1 cup arame seaweed (dried)
- 1⁄2 cup dried hijiki seaweed
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄2 tablespoon safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- Rinse the dried sea vegetables. Rinse several times if you prefer less of an 'ocean' taste.
- Place them in a small pot of cold water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove pot from heat and let stand, covered for 30 minutes or longer until the arame and hijiki re-hydrate and become tender.
- Drain sea vegetables well (retain cooking water as a soup stock).
- Rinse again, if desired, for a milder flavour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and toss well.
- Source: Vegetarian Tastes of Toronto, p. 24.