Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Very easy, home made chicken and dumplings. I have taken this dish to work several times and have been told by many that it tastes better than their grandma's chicken and dumplings. If you like your dumplings fluffy and big, this is the recipe for you.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1. Fill a large pot 2/3 full of water. Add chicken breasts whole.
- 2. Boil until completely cooked, no longer pink in the middle.
- 3. While the chicken is boiling, go ahead and mix up the dumpling batter.
- 4. Mix together flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder together.
- 5. Add shortening.
- 6. Then add milk.
- 7. Take the chicken breasts out and cut up into very small pieces, or shredded chicken works good as well.
- 8. Put the chicken back in the pot and refill the pot with water, about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full.
- 9. Add cream of chicken and seasoning to taste.
- 10. Take a spoon, scoop up a little batter and drop into the pot. Continue until batter is gone.
- 11. Stir well.
- 12. Let boil on a simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.