Recipe by mollypaul
A perfectly delicious spice cake ideal for any Christian holiday as published in our local newspaper.
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (1 Kings 4, 22)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (Galatians 5, 9)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (Leviticus 2, 13)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove (1 Kings 10, 2)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup butter, softened (Judges 5, 25)
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar (Jeremiah 6, 20)
- 2 tablespoons honey (Exodus 16, 31)
- 6 eggs (Luke 11, 12)
- 1 (8 ounce) packagechopped pitted dates (Deuteronomy 34, 3)
- 2 cups raisins (1 Samuel 30, 12)
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans, chopped (Song of Solomon 6, 11)
- 1 cup milk (Judges 5, 25)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease and flour a tube pan.
- Sift dry ingredients onto waxed paper.
- Beat butter, sugar, honey and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of sifted flour mixture over fruit and nuts.
- Add remaining flour mixture alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating until smooth after each addition: stir in fruits and nuts and spoon into prepared tube pan.
- Bake in oven 90 minutes or until top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from oven and invert pan on wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Loosen around edges of tube with knife.
- Turn out on rack; cool completely.
- Wrap in foil or plastic.
- For peak flavor, serve the next day.