Recipe by SJM
My son modified the recipe on the back of a package of French's Chili mix. It's got a little zip to it, but not so much as to detract from the flavor of the entire dish. He doesn't like beans in his chili, so I listed them as optional.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 lb beef, strips
- 1 (1 ounce) packagefrench chili seasoning mix
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Drain the ground beef, if necessary, and return it to the pan along with the onions, oregano and chili powder.
- Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft, then set aside.
- Cut the beef strips into bite sized pieces and brown them in a large pot with the olive oil.
- Add the cooked ground beef mix to the beef strips.
- Drain the liquid from the can of kidney beans and add the beans to the meat (optional).
- Drain the liquid from 1 can of tomatoes, then add both cans of tomatoes to the meat stirring to mix well.
- Add the package of French's Chili mix and stir until evenly blended in.
- Simmer over medium low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and top with cheese.